Tackling Minds was formed in February 2020, in the scenic area of Littleborough, overlooking Hollingworth Lake.
David Lyons was inspired to start Tackling Minds, as he had suffered from past mental health problems, and fishing played a vital role in him managing his illness. He claims that if it wasn’t for fishing, he doesn’t think he’d be here to tell his story.
David now wants to pass on his knowledge, gained from his own experiences, to show other people how fishing can benefit them too. And so, sitting on the bank with his rods in his hands, Tackling Minds was born.
Tackling Minds aims to get people, from all walks of life, into fishing. Be it, Mental Health, Social Deprivation, addiction and recovery, disabilities, Families and Long-Term Health.
We cater for all levels of Angler. It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner, or if you plan on fishing competitively, we have something for everybody.
We want to show people that fishing isn’t just a sport, it’s a way of life!
Tackling Minds has a great rapport with a number of Mental Health Organisations and Social Prescribers throughout the country.
We run a number of Angling events for people with Mental Health issues, Social Deprivation, addiction and recovery, families, disabilities and Long-Term Health Conditions. We thrive off introducing people to the sport.
Our aim is to:
1. Increase participation in angling to:
2. Increase the numbers of people getting active outdoors through angling.
3. Improve the health and well-being of those that take part.
4. Help people and communities develop with skills, education, volunteering and facilities.
5. Connect more people to nature through angling for their well-being and to improve the environment.
6. Increase the economic impact of angling and in particular deliver economic benefits in rural communities and revenue to clubs, fisheries and businesses.
Tackling Minds has a large Facebook audience of over 8,000 Followers, that we promote our Angling events to. We work closely with mental Health organisations, schools and Social Prescribing Link Workers. We are inundated with requests to participate in our events on a daily basis.
” I appreciate what you are trying to do as I have several friends and family members who are going through such issues. I wish Tackling Minds every success.”